The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

The Kiss of Deception -

Mary E. Pearson
ARC provided by Macmillan through Netgalley

This was such a disappointment...

The worst thing about this book is that I was absolutely convinced I would love it.
For instance, check out how it starts:
Today was the day a thousand dreams would die and a single dream would be born.
The wind knew. It was the first of June, but cold gusts bit at the hilltop citadelle as fiercely as deepest winter, shaking the windows with curses and winding through drafty halls with warning whispers.
Beautifully written right?

Then there was the bit where we learn the main character's name:
Arabella Celestine Idris Jezelia, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan
So obviously my mind just went to this:
So... headcanon accepted. Which could only make the reading of this book all the more awesome.

What I got instead was a love triangle (why?! WHY?!) between Lia, the Prince she was meant to marry but whose wedding she ran from, and the Assassin sent to KILL HER.
I don't care how dumb you are, you don't just wave this away in a few lines because you are so ~in love~, and he is ~so hot~. Like... I don't even know how to properly address this, because WTF.

Lia, the Prince, and the Assassin were all blatantly and unforgivably tstl, I couldn't connect with any of them at all.
Add to that all the insta-love going around, and Lia being one of the most insipid heroines ever - and one who lies to her best friend about something extremely important! - and this book was just a struggle to read.
The pacing was incredibly slow, everything was obvious and, quite honestly, I felt that I, as a reader, was being talked down to. This is a terrible mistake. Do not talk down to your readers, we are not stupid.

Even when the pacing picked up it was still so lukewarm... so forgettable... like this whole book.

Mary E. Pearson's official site

Buy The Kiss of Deception
@ The Book Depository ( with free worldwide delivery!)