30 Day Book Challenge: Day 15 - Favourite Male Character

Okay, this counts because there is a book, which I've read and everything, see?

It's perfectly fine to like problematic things, as long as you realise they are problematic, and this is the case.
See, Jareth is my favourite male character but I wouldn't date him - I know better than that. His behaviour was sketchy to say the least, there is the bright point, however, of Sarah realising this and not letting herself fall for him or any of his tricks (oops! spoilers! for anyone who hasn't watched Labyrinth, but if you haven't stop whatever you're doing and go watch it and read it). Sarah's tale is one of growth, she leaves childhood behind and accepts she must become a young lady (though it's mentioned that childish things have a place in grown up life, as well). Jareth's role is pretty much that of the big bad wolf - he's there to tempt, to represent the awakening sexuality, running away from responsibility, and other very important things which I won't discuss because I want to focus on other things.

No, not the bulge.

...it speaks for itself.

I mean Jareth, the character. Sarah is annoyed at having to babysit her brother and wishes him away, wishes he'd be taken by the Goblin King. And Jareth just shows up all sparkly and fabulous, like

And tells her she has to beat his labyrinth if she wants her baby brother back. The thing is, Jareth is always cruel. He never hides this. And he mocks Sarah - mostly with reason. And he's creepy. But he's right about many things. And he always shows Sarah she should be better, that she's not exactly the heroine because, as he mentioned:

"Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me, I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down, and I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations. Isn't that generous?"

But just because a guy is super powerful, and hot, and offers to place the sky within your eyes, the moon within your heart, paint you mornings of gold, and promises he'll be there for you as the world falls down... doesn't mean you should take him up on it if he's a creep.

I mean this...
This isn't healthy.

And Sarah was totally right when she told him:
And left.
So YAY for girl power and ladies saying no and meaning NO!

But even realising all this I still go... Man, I would have left that baby behind for him. And that's problematic. But I realise it and accept it only in fiction, so it's okay.