The Seduction of Phaeton Black

The Seduction of Phaeton Black -

Jillian Stone The bare plot held promise but everything felt so muddled and rushed. It really seemed like this was the second book of a series and everything was confusing because we didn't have enough backstory.The writing was awkward but it did seem to improve as the book progressed - the beginning is littered with bad puns, and quite a few times the reader is left without knowing who exactly is being described or who said what exactly. But I suppose that's more the editor's fault than the writer's...Also, most of the sex scenes were ridiculous, can anyone be expected to keep a straight face when the hero's cock is constantly referred to as "The Duke"? I mean, really? I knew going in that this was paranormal romance steampunk, so I was ready for a lot, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far. I could accept the harpies, goddesses and gargoyles, but the Victorian England described fell very far from the mark. You can describe the mythical however you want it, but the real world, even if it's alternate history, needs more of a solid feel to it to pull the whole story together. So... 2 stars for the concept, which could have been brilliant had it been well executed.