Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone -

I tried so, so hard to like this book! But the thing is, the book tried too hard to make me like it.First of all the descriptions are irrefutably flawless, when Laini Taylor writes a world, writes a creature, writes a scene, you see it plain as day. And the plot had SO MUCH potential (more on that later).But the dialogue? Apart from a scene between Akiva and Izîl on war and monsters? Meh. I'll forgive almost everything when the dialogue just pops out of the page, when you read it and it just zings, it feels real. Sometimes there are books without much in the way of description (do we ever really get to know what Bertie Wooster looks like, for example?) but the dialogue and observations from the narrator carries the book through or, in rare cases, makes it soar. That never happened in this book. None of the characters, as perfectly described as they were, managed to move me in the slightest. I couldn't bring myself to care much about Karou or her elsewhere inhabitants, her friend, and least of all her star-crossed seraph. The only one I was really, REALLY, interested in, the fallen angel Razgut (to whom Akiva threw the lovely line, "I’m nothing like you, cripple"), was barely more than a plot point. And finally, the plot. Though it started well enough, with sufficient intrigue to make me keep reading, it devolves into some flimsy romance born out of a cliché I particularly dislike, paired with odd stops for tea and art performances, with convolutedly poetical similes every other line. I get why people would like it. It's just not enough for me. No matter how prettily it's written.