In the After

In the After -

Originally posted at Paperback Wonderland.

Okay, this was mind-blowingly amazing. I know that there's a lot of hype when new dystopias come out, "the new hunger games blah blah" but if any is deserving of the title this is it. It's like it took elements from all the most horrible dystopias like The Handmaid's Tale, 1984, The Road, with a sprinkle of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

This book packs a hell of a punch. First of all, there is Baby. There is always a younger sibling in YA dystopias, so I thought it would be more of the same. But it was so much more! In the other books the sibling eventually becomes this concept, he/she is not with the main character any more, they're something to protect from afar. Baby and Amy were together for years. They grew together like sisters, if not by blood then by everything that matters. Their relationship was the strongest point of this book. Not that the book ever eased up, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

And while admittedly, near the end, it got a bit cliché, it was still awesome. Seriously, this book has me trying not to make noise around the house!