A Sorceress of His Own by Dianne Duvall

A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones Book 1) -

Dianne Duvall
DNF @ 35%

This has to be one of the most clichéd and boring books I've ever read.

The story starts with Alyssa, the Wisewoman's granddaughter who, at sixteen, believes herself madly in love with Lord Dillon, whom her grandmother serves.
I know we're all familiar with love at first sight, but this is actually love at NO SIGHT.
This girl has literally NEVER met this guy.
But she fell in love with what she knows of him from the things her grandmother tells her, despite him being known as a bloodthirsty cruel man.

So off she sets to take her grandmother's place, disguising herself as an old woman, painting age spots on her hands, and faking a feeble voice, all at the age of sixteen even if her entire family tells her she's being stupid.

Mary Sue that she is, she single-handedly defeats Dillon's enemies even though they'd been laying siege to the fortress forever. Apparently, during a siege, people just walk right in and out of a fortress, and go around poisoning the ENTIRETY of the fortress' inhabitants.

Seven years pass and we're told, not shown, that Dillon and Alyssa become bff, playing games, unburdening their hearts to each other, etcetera.

This girl has zero personality. Her entire existence revolves around her precious Dillon. Not that I can say much about Dillon either, since his entire existence revolves around... nothing at all.

Thankfully, Dillon dreams of his future bride, who is, of course, Alyssa, so when he is brutally wounded and Alyssa selflessly takes his wounds for herself while healing him her true guise is discovered.

Desperate confessions of love are professed because OMG SHE'S HOT NOW and he can't lose her!
"“Nay,” he denied, his heartbeat thundering in his ears. “Nay! Nay!” he repeated, his voice rising to a shout. “Do not leave me, Seer! You cannot!"
Yes, I know it's the nae nae, not nay nay.

Quite honestly, I couldn't keep going after this.
The plot is barely existent, the pacing is fast and boring at the same time, the characters are a Mary Sue and a Gary Stu, their romance is implausible, and the entire story reeks of immaturity - if it weren't for the sexual content I'd say the book would be suitable for very young teens.

I'm giving it one star instead of zero stars for the language used, which was period appropriate, but that's literally the only good thing about this book.

Dianne Duvall's official site

Buy A Sorceress of His Own
@ The Book Depository (with free worldwide delivery!)