The Kraken King Part I: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (Iron Seas #4.1) by Meljean Brook

The Kraken King Part I: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (Iron Seas #4.1)  -

Meljean Brook
ARC provided by InterMix through Netgalley

Whenever steampunk comes up I think "Meljean Brook". I don't even know if she was the first author I've read of the genre, but she is hands-down the best.

I thought I'd read all Iron Seas' books - so when I started this book, which features Zenobia Fox, Archimedes Fox's sister, I was like... "what."

Can you believe I spent ages lusting after Heart of Steel, bought the ebook, and then forgot about it and convinced myself I had been waiting for Riveted (which is the 3rd book! THIRD! in the series!)?!

My stupidity, thankfully, did not hinder the reading of The Kraken King Part 1: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (which is a title that's too long, and quite frankly too awesome to write every time), which can be read without any knowledge of the rest of the Iron Seas' series.

Meljean Brook has a super helpful guide about the world she created, anyway, in case of any confusion. Including a map which contains the best copyright notice I've ever read:

(c) Meljean Brook
Do not reproduce this map, please.
It's too ugly.

The story starts with Zenobia, travelling to Australia under the assumed name Geraldine Inkslinger, with her friend Helene.
Their ship is attacked and they are rescued by Ariq, the Kraken King, one of the most powerful men in the Horde rebellion.

Things start off well between Zenobia and Ariq - it's not insta-love, but it's insta-lust, and if there is one thing Brook writes well... it's lust. In just a few lines during their first meeting she has me hoping they'll be together forever.
But, of course, misunderstandings arise soon enough...

This is only Part 1, so it's much too short, ending right when I was completely hooked.

And to think I'll have to wait until April 22 to read Part 2!
I don't know how I'm going to wait... well, by finally reading Heart of Steel, for one!

Meljean Brook's official site