30 Day Book Challenge: Day 22 - A Book that Made Me Cry

English title: My Sweet Orange Tree

I don't know anyone who hasn't cried reading this book, and to be honest, I'm having a hard time writing this without crying.

This is an autobiographical work, told by Zezé (José Mauro de Vasconcelos) a precocious 5 year old boy from a very, very poor family, but with a huge imagination, which he uses to deal with, and escape from, how harsh real life is.
I remember one time I (re)read this book and my mother asked me what was wrong with my eyes - they were swollen from spending the entire night crying, that's what was wrong with them.
This isn't an easy book to deal with, it's an amazingly easy book to read (it's a children's book), you just glide through it. The problem is when you finish it...

Everyone should read this book at least once, I think it's quite difficult to find the English translation for sale (and when it shows up it's at an exorbitant price), but if you're lucky you may find it in a library.

This is my usual "this book ruined my life, you have to read it" post, and they always come out wrong, but I love this book with all my heart and I wish more people would read it.