Birthmarked (Birthmarked Trilogy)

Birthmarked -

Caragh M. O'Brien I have nothing but great things to say about Birthmarked, it's one of those books that went into my favourite shelf as soon as I had finished reading it. Quite honestly, I've lost count of how many people I've recommended it to. Birthmarked does a wonderful thing which has become rarer and rarer these days: it focuses on the plot without letting it be overwhelmed by the romance, BUT without relegating the romance to the role of an afterthought.The plot is strong and addictive. Really, is there anything that will manage to mess up our collective protective instincts, as a species, as having to save babies? There is a sense of urgency throughout the entire book that'll keep you reading and reading and crush you under a tide of depression when you get to the last page and realize there is no more to read. Seriously, I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms. This review is, admittedly, all over the place, but bear in mind it's a vast improvement over the original:"Did you like The Hunger Games? THEN READ THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW. I'd push a horde of cripples down a flight of stairs just for a glimpse of the sequel!I can't even give you guys a coherent summary - dystopian future, well-written, great and realistic protagonist, saving babies, The Hunger Games + 1984 + The Handmaid's Tale, idek!"So bear with my fangirl ways and go read it!